Growth hormone or somatotropin (GH) is a polypeptide hormone synthesized and stored inside the pituitary gland whose function is to control protein synthesis in the muscle and the longitudinal growth of bones, therefore it regulates our growth during childhood and adolescence. And it is from the age of 20 when the endogenous production of this hormone begins to decrease, related to the aging process.
We all know the importance of this hormone in the world of sports for its functions for building muscle (anabolic action) and reducing adipose tissue “burning body fat”.
The problem lies when many athletes have decided to inject themselves with this hormone to increase their strength and size of their muscles since it is considered a doping agent and its use is highly detrimental to their health, even so, knowing its consequences, it is doping that these people use more and more often.
How to naturally stimulate growth hormone?
Instead of endangering our health by using this dangerous substance, we should promote the endogenous secretion of this hormone naturally.
The following factors affect growth hormone secretion:
- Sleep: GH is secreted in impulses distributed throughout the day, but mostly during rest (hours of sleep), approximately 90 minutes after falling asleep, therefore, sleep in addition to its restorative function, favors the secretion of somatotropin. It must be taken into account that trained individuals show a nocturnal secretion higher than that of a sedentary one.
- Complex carbohydrates at dinner: taking an adequate amount of these at dinner induces sleep and also contributes to stimulating it.
- High-intensity exercise: this is one of the most important factors to take into account for its stimulation, the higher the intensity of the exercise, the higher the elevation of the hormone levels. You have to train heavily, with training that is an intense stimulus for us.
The intake of the following amino acids:
- L-Arginine; a non-essential amino acid that the body can synthesize itself. Increases muscle mass and increases the transport of amino acids from cells, in addition to burning body fat. It also stimulates the activity of the immune system and acts as a vasodilator that stimulates the circulatory system. Recommended dose: 3g a day before going to bed.
- Ornithine; It is an amino acid that plays an important role in the metabolism of excess body fat. It is not part of proteins or protein synthesis. It favors the production of polyamides that stabilize the structure of the membranes and the integrity of the DNA, thus facilitating cell growth. Recommended dose: 3g a day before going to bed.
- OKAY; (Ornithine alpha-keto-glutarate), a combination of the L-ornithine molecules and alpha-ketoglutatic acid. Its function is to avoid catabolism (avoid muscle loss) and increases protein synthesis and promote recovery. Recommended dose: 8-10g a day separated into two doses.
With age, GH levels decrease and by following these tips, we get its secretion in a natural way and we will take advantage of its many benefits. Avoid sleep-wake disorders, insomnia, simple carbohydrates, alcohol, and excess fatty acids as they alter and decrease the normal secretion of growth hormone.