Last Updated on
The crisis caused by the coronavirus has led to what is expected to be a long period of quarantine. Businesses have been forced to close their doors, including gyms and sports centers. Nor can we go down to the street to do the exercises on the machines installed in the parks. However, do not despair! There are many ways in which we can exercise at home.
It is evident that being at home for more than two weeks without moving can be detrimental to our health. As the days go by, we can notice how our bones and muscles become stiff if we do not remedy it. According to a study carried out by the University of Liverpool, 15 days of physical inactivity lead to a muscle loss of 0.21 kg, a loss of musculoskeletal mass of 0.35 kg, and a considerable increase in so-called bad fat. However, don’t let this data scare you. Finding a solution is as easy as exercising daily at home.
Advantages of exercising during the quarantine
Therefore, here are some of the advantages of playing sports during confinement:
- Helps overcome anxiety and depression. These days we have left our daily routines and it is normal to feel anxious and even somewhat depressed. There are many situations of change and concerns that haunt our heads. By exercising we produce a higher secretion of endorphins (hormones of happiness). This gives rise to a feeling of well-being that allows us to evade our surroundings for a while.
- Improve sleep Good physical exercise has been shown to improve sleep quality, reduce insomnia symptoms, and decrease the number of nighttime awakenings. Playing sports helps us forget about the worries we have throughout our day and increases physical and mental relaxation.
- The risk of contracting diseases is reduced. If we avoid being sedentary in these days of quarantine, we can keep blood pressure, glucose, or (bad) cholesterol at bay.
- Increases physical endurance and improves flexibility. If we train every day, we will see that little by little we achieve greater resistance and a progression in our flexibility. It may be that the first days when you bend down you only reach with the tips of the fingers to the knees, but little by little and with constancy you will touch the ground.
- It helps control weight. Physical activity also helps us control and lose those extra kilos.
Increase self-esteem. Having a healthy and active lifestyle makes us feel better about ourselves and improves our self-concept.